Monday, October 31, 2011

JAME’ ‘ASR HASSANIL BOLKIAH MOSQUE


Named after Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzadin Waddaulah the 29th Sultan of Brunei, talk about long names. It was built in 1988, five years later it was open during his majesty's 48th birthday. Rather than Italian influence, this one was Turkish fusion. With insatiable curiosity, I blended in amongst a group of tourist from Hong Kong down in the gown dressing area. I took up a gown and walked upstairs away from the crowd, with the stairs behind me, I found myself standing before a great wooden door easily two stories tall. The door seemed to grow taller as I approached, a slight push with the tip of my fingers loosened the door from it's position, it was unlocked, I invited myself in and was immediately stunned.The vastness of the main prayer room just took my breath away, soft thick green carpeting beneathe my feet, looking up and around the room made me lose my orientation and I almost slipped. The prayer room was immense almost the size of a soccer field and around three to four stories tall. Suddenly I noticed glaring eyes on my back, I turned around and found two cleaners looking suspiciously my way, knowing better I quickly walked back out the room, returned my black gown and exited the mosque.


All rights reserved - Copyright © RND Memoir

No comments:

Post a Comment